Here’s a question for you.
Assuming your vehicle has the same sized tires on the front and on the rear, if you need only two tires, where should they be mounted? Tires don’t always wear equally, so it’s rather common to replace two at a time rather than to need all four.
Here are some guidelines.
First of all, you can have two different brands of tires on a vehicle, provided the same type of tires are on the front, and the other type are on the rear. But don’t ever put two different brands together on the front wheels, or on the rear. The two tires on the front of the vehicle need to work together, as do the two tires on the rear. So this is the first rule. If your tires are worn and you need just one, always buy two. A worn out tire on one side of the vehicle cannot work in tandem with a fully-treaded tire on the opposite side of the car, even though they are the same brand.
Here’s a hypothetical situation. You’ve hit a pothole, and blown out the right front tire on your car. And since the set of tires on your car have only about half the normal new tire tread depth remaining, you’re prepared to follow the rules and you’ve told your trusted mechanic to replace two, rather than one. But where should he mount them, on the front of the vehicle, or on the rear? There’s honest debate about this, and some experienced mechanics will even say it depends upon whether your vehicle is front-wheel or rear-wheel drive. They are wrong.
This is the second rule. Always mount the two new tires on the rear of your car.
The logic behind this rule is simple. If your best two tires are on the rear of the car, and the older, thinner tires are now on the front, when you’re driving on a slippery surface and you lose the front end of the car, you can hopefully brake and steer to regain control, because the rear of your vehicle has held the road. But if your best tires are on the front of the car with the lesser quality ones are on the rear, and you lose the rear end of the car in a turn or on that slippery surface, you’ll lose control of the car.
We encourage you to watch a video produced by Michelin that supports this argument. It can be viewed by clicking the link here.
This information is brought to you by the Master Technicians at Select Luxury Service in Marietta, Georgia. Experience matters, especially when lives are at stake.
Select Luxury Service is the premier Luxury Car Service Center located in Marietta GA and serving the Greater Atlanta Area. We specialize in BMW, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, Audi, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, Maserati, Aston Martin, VW and other exotics and super cars. Visit our website to schedule an appointment to have your vehicle looked at by our Certified Master Technicians.
I’m not sure where or when this originally aired, but here’s a funny commercial on YouTube for the Mercedes-Benz E-Class. We have 4 beautiful pre-owned Mercedes E-Class cars in stock, by the way!
“Beauty is nothing without brains”
Used Mercedes-Benz cars are consistently among our top sellers here at Select Luxury Cars. Our dealership in Marietta, GA currently has about 30 different preowned Mercedes-Benz in stock. For inquiries or to purchase, visit us at 985 Cobb Parkway South, Marietta, GA 30060, call 770-421-0070 or email email@example.com
We look forward to helping you.
Featured Vehicle of the day: A beautiful used Mercedes-Benz G-class SUV. This one is a 2009 Mercedes G55 AMG. Black on charcoal, rugged with an uncommon style. This one really stands out from the pack of less distinctive but popular sports utility vehicles (or, as some say, “Soccer Utility Vehicles‘). It’s boxy yet luxurious, has less than 7,000 miles, is loaded with features and shines like a black pearl. See for yourself here in this video slide show:
* Exterior: Black
* Interior: Charcoal
* Stock #: 10623
* Engine: 5.5L SOHC 24-valve AMG supercharged V8 engine
* Transmission: Automatic
* Mileage: 6,333
*PREMIUM ALCANTARA LEATHER ROOF LINER!
*REAR SEAT ENTERTAINMENT!
*REAR VIEW CAMERA!
*VENTILATED FRONT SEATS!
*HEATED SEATS FRONT AND REAR!
*HEATED WOOD/LEATHER STEERING WHEEL!
*PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM!
*6-DISC CD CHANGER!
*REAR PARK ASSIST!
Mercedes-Benz G-Class G55 AMG Standard Equipment
* Pwr tilt/slide sunroof
* Stainless-steel running boards
* Bi-xenon light-sensing headlamps w/heated high pressure washers
* Corner-illuminating halogen foglamps
* Single red rear foglamp
* Power heated windshield
* Privacy glass -inc: rear doors & quarters & liftgate
* Pwr heated signal mirrors -inc: auto-dimming driver side, mirror memory, reverse tilt-down
* Rain-sensing intermittent front wipers w/heated washer system
* Intermittent rear wiper w/washer
* Privacy glass-inc: rear doors & quarters & liftgate
* 10-way pwr heated multi-contour front bucket seats -inc: pwr lumbar 3-position seat memory, adjustable head restraints, pneumatic side bolsters, thigh support
* Heated 60/40-split-folding rear seats w/(3) adjustable head restraints
* Front/rear carpeted floor mats
* Stainless-steel door sill trim
* Multi-function display controls
* Steering wheel audio controls
* 4-way pwr tilt/telescopic steering column -inc: memory, easy-entry & exit feature
* Electronic analog speedometer, tachometer, fuel gauge & coolant temp
* Multi-function displays in speedometer face -inc: trip computer, engine oil level check, digital speedometer, message indicator, driver-programmable settings, navigation system route guidance, exterior temp gauge, audio status, engine coolant temp, phone menu
* Mercedes-Benz Maintenance System display -inc: distance remaining to next maintenance, type of service due, reminders
* SmartKey system -inc: remote central locking system, anti-theft engine immobilizer, driver-programmable user-recognition features, drive away automatic locking
* SmartKey infrared remote -inc: windows open/close, sunroof open/close, panic alarm, fuel filler door, selective unlock
* Integrated 3-button HomeLink compatible garage door control
* Cruise control
* Anti-theft alarm system
* Rear view camera
* Automatic dual-zone climate control -inc: electrostatic dust filter, adjustable rear cabin vents at rear of center console
* Rear window defroster w/auto-shutoff
* Auxiliary pwr outlet
* Auto-dimming rearview mirror
* Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors
* Night security illumination
* Locator lighting w/path illumination
* Leather-trimmed parking brake lever/boot
* 2-speed transfer case
* (3) locking differentials
* Permanent 4-wheel drive
* Front/rear tow hooks
* Rigid front/rear axles -inc: longitudinal & transverse links, coil springs, gas shocks
* Front stabilizer bar
* Recirculating ball steering w/power assist, hydraulic damper
* 4-wheel Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) w/brake assist
* Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD)
* 4-wheel Electronic Traction System (4-ETS+)
* Electronic Stability Program (ESP)
* Programmable daytime running lamps
* Driver & front passenger airbags -inc: dual-stage driver airbag, BabySmart deactivation system
* Front/rear window curtain side airbags
* 3-point front seat belts w/Emergency Tensioning Device (ETD), belt force limiter
* 3-point rear seat belts w/outboard Emergency Tensioning Device (ETD)
* Universal LATCH system (Lower Anchors & Tethers for Children) at rear outboard seating positions
* Child safety rear door locks
* Advanced tire pressure monitoring system
* COMMAND cockpit management & data system -inc: 40-GB hard-drive-based navigation system, Bluetooth interface, enhanced voice control, harman/kardon sound system, AM/FM stereo, integrated 6-disc CD/DVD changer, Sirius satellite radio, HD radio, iPod/MP3 media interface, auxiliary audio input, Mercedes-Benz Tele Aid system
The 2011 A8 features a ton of groundbreaking technologies, but one of my favorite is the introduction of Google Maps right on the navigation screen. You can view Google Earth, the weather, sports scores, and even stocks all from the comfort of your Audi. Expect to see this in the 2011 A8 once it goes on sale this Summer.
If you have any questions about what any of these features do, or have a purchase interest, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment! Select Luxury is here for YOU! Please let us know how we can better serve you, or if you have any suggestions for future posts. Select Luxury highly recommends you keep focused on the road, and use the features described in this post while parked.